Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Epic Adventures of Kill, Grill, and Chill 2015

Where on earth can you go to find a bunch of nerds dressed in medieval costumes hitting each other with foam weapons, see the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine McParty Bus, a super cool person spending well over a grand on an open bar for almost 200 people, camping, fizzball, fire art, monster characters, random pirate songs and tons of singing, a random mediocre cover band, a bullywog wedding, a lake to go swimming, camaraderie, happiness, a party that puts college parties to shame, and way too many mosquitos for your own good?

Welcome to the world of the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society, a group of open-minded nerds who enjoy beating the snot out of each other with sticks all in good fun.

On August 7-9, 2015, the realm of Dunharrow hosted a weekend event near Kankakee, IL called “Kill, Grill, and Chill”.

After packing at the last minute as usual and getting off of work a little late on Friday night, I headed to the event at eventually o’clock pm to finally meet up with my friends from Iowa who I hadn’t seen in awhile. Thankfully by the time I arrived, the cover band was still playing and I hadn’t missed anything. After I finish getting ready to go wandering around the campgrounds for the night, I am first introduced to the lovely fellow who spent over 1500 dollars to provide an open bar for the entire event population. I created my drink-a-riffic concoction and proceeded to wander some more. I witnessed lots of pirate singing and embarked on several adventures to get myself ready for the main day. Of course, I decided to stay up until 5:15am. Oops!

Five hours of sleep and waking up in my car covered in sweat later, I turned on my battery-powered fans to cool down, and got ready for the day. After a random adventure to a KFC/Taco Bell, I changed into my fighting garb (uniform) and went off to battle.

Once it cooled down and fighting ceased, it was time for fizzball. One episode of debauchery singing of the Star Spangled Banner later, several teams of 3 who created their own baseball bats took the “field”. The opposite team pitched and you had to bust open 3 beer cans and whoever busted their cans into the most pieces wins, in nutshell. If you get an “out” (3 strikes), you have to chug your beer. If you cleanly sheared the top part of the can off, you would win bonus points. No running or bases are a part of this game of craziness. It was super epic and I’d like to give it a shot next time.

After fizzball and a ceremony to let newer fighters into my realm, it was time for feast and wandering into the night. At the pavilion of magicness, another open bar awaited. Even the “mundanes” (regular non-belegarth people at the campground) wanted to join in on the fun. Just outside the pavilion, a fire is roaring, drums and music are played, and a fire hooper and fire breathers perform their arts. The bullywogs, aka the frog people, had a wedding and smashed a watermelon.  After awhile, I decide to wander off with a new Chicago friend I met who just so happened to be the driver of the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine McParty Bus. A bunch of people wandered in and out of this old fixed-up and painted public transit mini bus that looked like a giant van; it had lights and a pretty stellar sound system. Plenty more craziness and singing later, it was time to hope I didn’t acquire west nile virus when going to the bathroom because the mosquitos began to get nasty during the middle of the night. By the end of the night, it was me, a different super tall friend of mine, and three mundanes in the pavilion at 5:30 in the morning. Once they were too tired and wanted to go to bed, I begin to head back to my friend’s tent to crash as I run into two of my Iowa friends driving around the campground. I end up getting in the car with them and chilling until morning.  At that point, I ended up pulling an allnighter. Once everyone packed and split, I ended up going to get food with my Iowa friends and drove home. At least the weather held until cleanup time again. Thank you Kill, Grill, and Chill for being another successful event and to Belegarth for continuing to be a such an accepting and welcoming environment where I could be my colorful and flowery self to be able to spread positivity and joy to all. I’m going to go hibernate in my bed for awhile. DUNHAROOOOOOOOW!!!

If you’re interested in feasting in this fun old time, feel free to check out the following Chicago area (city and suburbs) practice locations which are currently active:

The realm (practice area) of Galahad practices on Saturdays from 3-6pm at the at the corner of Michigan and Roosevelt (by Columbia College)
Facebook Page: Morva; Galahad Medieval Combat Society

The realm (practice area) of Yggdrasil practices on Thursdays from 7-9pm in Oz Park (by DePaul University, 2021 N. Burling St., Chicago, IL, 60614, 10 minute walk from the Fullerton Red/Brown/Purple line)
Facebook Page: Morva; Yggdrasil Belegarth Realm


The realm (practice area) of Esgaroth practices on Sundays from 3-6pm at Foster Avenue Beach (5200 N. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60640, by the Berwyn/Bryn Mawr Red line)

Facebook Page: Morva; Esgaroth Belegarth Realm

No comments:

Post a Comment