Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thoughts of Adam Gontier's Departure of Three Days Grace

Adam Gontier departing say whaaaaaa?

He's apparently "ill". Whether or not that's true, Three Days Grace will never be the same. Everyone else thinks so and I will definitely don't need to jump on the bandwagon to feel this way. He has always been there, even when prior to the conversion to Three Days Grace (note: they were called "Groundswell" prior to being named Three Days Grace"). It was definitely a shock to me and many other fans alike, especially because they are going on their Transit of Venus tour.

Adam Gontier definitely has a very pure sounding voice that I've been in love with for years. From his gig with Apocalyptica to seeing him with Three Days Grace in 2010 at Q101 Jamboree in Chicago, they have always been a blast. Out of the many bands I've seen live, they were one of my absolute favorites.

In my opinion, if he really is sick, then he shouldn't just "peace out" like that. The band was very successful, despite their new album sounding like crap. I've always been a fan of their older stuff, with their self titled and One-X being my favorites. The lyrics of Three Days Grace have always been relatable, not always about breaking up with your boyfriend. They have been around since the early 1990s. I have a feeling they could have turned into the modern Metallica (minus the guitar riffs) in terms of their success. Why leave something that's doing so well? That's for him to know and the public to probably never find out.

The lead singer of My Darkest Days will be taking over for Adam, at least on the tour as the lead vocalist. Since Three Days Grace is vocal predominant band (where the main emphasis is on the vocals), they unfortunately made a HUGE 180. I fortunately am a My Darkest Days fan to an extent, but opening for Nickelback definitely takes some credibility away from them. Yes, I am a Nickelback hater. Unfortunately, his voice is NOTHING in comparison to Adam. Adam has more of an open and full sounding voice, as compared to My Darkest Days, whose songs are more sensual sounding and it sounds like "your typical rock voice". I am unsure whether or not the vocal style of My Darkest Days will compliment the music of Three Days Grace, but I'm definitely curious to see. He could do a very good job, but that is only for us to find out. My biggest concern is that Three Days Grace plays significantly heavier music than My Darkest Days; unless Matt (the singer of My Darkest Days) alters his voice to match Adam's style, it could be weird. From a vocalist perspective, Matt should stay true to himself. Unfortunately, because he's singing for another band, in order for him to be good, I think he should tweak his style not to match Adam, but to fit Three Days Grace's style (unless for some reason he does already).

Either way, this is a travesty to the music world. I am extremely disappointed with one of my favorite bands. This garbage tends to happen all the time. It's just a shame it had to happen to them. Oh well, I'm sure a better band will come along anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment