Friday, August 12, 2016

Making Your Mark in Light Trails

In the beginning of 2014, one of my friends told me how he did this thing called “gloving” at raves. As fascinated as I was by this concept he described to me, about a month later, I attended an anime convention, ACEN, and saw vendors selling these light up LED gloves and bought a pair for 20 dollars. Shortly after ACEN, I began experimenting with this “gloving” thing, dancing aimlessly in my room, looking in the mirror, and trying to move my hands around to make cool light trails. This lasted for about a year or so, until my same friend told me about a company that sold better quality gloves, emazinglights.com. About 40 dollars later, I was the proud owner of my first real pair of gloves.

One of my biggest dreams is to have one of my products (blogs, websites, or youtube channel) go viral. I had a golden idea to one day record myself dancing around with my gloves to the song “Decisions” by “Bogore”, an electronic dance music artist, while wearing my karate uniform. A couple months later, while bored at my last job in a grey box, I was randomly curious if there was a community in Chicago for this type of thing. Surely enough, it didn’t take long to find one thanks to Facebook. I watched some youtube videos to get a better idea of what this “gloving” thing was; it required intricate hand, arm, and finger movements in specific patterns. In the youtube videos I watched, I noticed people were only showing their performances from the waist up, but something about that didn’t feel right; my creative mind told me to use my whole body with the gloves as the star. The more I watched youtube videos and tutorials, the more I noticed top glovers using their entire bodies in shows. A video that stood out to me, which I watched while bored at work, was a video of a very attractive man in a dance studio with this thing called an orbit. Looking at that video, I instantly gravitated towards the orbit and bought one from Emazinglights.

Me and dancing have had an interesting relationship over the years. I only took dance lessons when I was 4 and quit basically right away, but for some reason, at ages 8 and 9 when I went to theater camp, I was assigned more dance intensive roles instead of lines and singing. A year after that, my martial arts career began. Whenever I’d go to bar and bat mitzvahs and there would be dance offs as a teenager, I’d often win. During college, my sorority participated in a philanthropy dance contest as a group, which I did every year I was in the sorority. Unfortunately, when a “certain someone” made fun of me for dancing, my confidence went down the toilet… until I decided to invent my own style of dance with the help of youtube tutorials. I also saw a video where someone used their gloves and orbit together and adopted the idea into my dance routines. Once I became comfortable enough, I began trying to see if I can take this to the stage. Luckily, a group named “Dramageddon” accepted one of my videos as an audition and I got to perform with them 3 times. I am still looking for more opportunities!

I also like to perform in local “Got Talent” shows, as it is another dream of mine to be on America’s Got Talent. I’ve done a few local talent shows as a storyteller, but continue to lose to singers (and dancers). I’ve always wanted to do something different for a talent show, as opposed to “doing what everyone else does”. If the audience wants singing and dancing, they’ll get singing and dancing. With these LED light gloves and this LED light orbit, I will make my mark in this world, as well as beat out the singers, one glimmer of light at a time!




No comments:

Post a Comment