Friday, January 30, 2015

How it Feels to Lose Weight

Today, I looked at myself in the mirror and appreciated what I saw. I didn’t see “the old me” aka me over 55 pounds ago and my poor state of mind. I saw me, who started a new beginning, a strong, beautiful, passionate woman sans fat rolls and clothes to hide who I really am. I don’t feel the need to wear as much makeup anymore either (though I think makeup is an art form to me and I will admit that my acne scars make me self-conscious and not wearing it will make me look tired all the time). I no longer need to hide myself because I have extra pounds on me. I’m in the best shape of my life. I’ve rekindled my passion for martial arts and am quite close to finally earning my black belt in Shotokan. I have truly discovered my passion for cooking. And most of all, I have never been this happy before and will never look back because I love who I am now.

In November 2013, I stepped foot into my friend’s holistic healthcare office (which he owns) and didn’t realize how much that would change my life. I was tired of being overweight for quite some time, but he summoned me into his office because I told him my mental health was severely going further down the toilet. To top it off, right after graduating from college, in August 2013, I was told that I have PCOS (more info here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/basics/definition/con-20028841). After doing some reading on this disorder, I was well aware my hormones had been abnormal for years, but as soon as I found out that this is also triggered by being overweight and raises my chance of developing type 2 diabetes, I knew something had to be done. I did some research on type 2 diabetes and what I’d have to worry about if I ever developed this terrible disease and I was like, “nope, screw this, I’m just going to lose the weight and take care of myself now before something traumatic happens”. I had stopped doing karate in early-mid 2008 and realized how much I loved/missed it and how lovely of shape I was in. I unfortunately had just missed the session and had to wait until January to start again (and I did). I had also been involved in Belegarth (medieval foam swordfighting) as well at the time. I was so ready to do this! I so wanted to lose weight… at least that was my mindset “then”.

A couple of months into seeing my holistic doctor friend and right after starting karate again, I asked him for advice on how to lose weight… as he points to a program called Shape Reclaimed (more info here: http://www.shapereclaimed.com/). Although I am not the best at religiously following “diet plans”, I was pretty spot on for the first few months of this program. I still follow the program and am monitored, but I don’t “follow it to the T anymore”. I will honestly admit this because weightloss programs and losing weight is one of the most difficult things to do… no really, it is. Plus, if the world thinks that everyone follows every diet program super religiously, that’s likely untrue, especially because I’m still losing/maintaining weight and haven’t gained any significant amount of weight back in all of 2014 (excluding weight fluctuation of like 2-3 pounds, which is normal). This is the longest I’ve been able to hold my progress and this is my 4th serious attempt at losing weight… and only genuinely successful one.

The Shape food list is now a permanent guideline for how I construct my personal diet, which for me, is more effective than strictly following a diet plan (ex I have become highly disinterested in eating bread now). I also tend to follow things more loosely because it’s less stressful for me, but that’s just a personal deal. This program ultimately ended up helping me because it taught me how to eat healthier overall, about how my body works and burns fat, and to be more cognizant of looking at nutrition facts and especially ingredient labels. My dear friend educated me on how to maintain overall health through eating and in general, as well as acted as a coach and guiding star for me. Since he is my friend, having your wellness coach be someone you’re comfortable around who genuinely supports you ultimately helped me. The Shape program also fostered an even deeper appreciation and passion for cooking healthy, since there are only certain foods you can eat while on the program. Not only did the Shape program work for me, but it also taught me portion control, which is in my opinion the most integral factor of weight loss and why I gained weight in the first place… through eating way too darn much. I also exercise several days a week, which also helps.

My journey started in January 2014. It is now December 2014 and I am down over 55 pounds… and am still down over 55 pounds. So how did I do this?
*Shape Reclaimed (and my holistic doctor friend of course)
*Karate
*Further exercise (ex belegarth, running, extra walking, taking the stairs whenever possible, little things like that)
*Portion control
*Friend support (and falling in love with a darling who is health conscious, enjoys a raw diet, and helps hold me accountable)
*Cooking my own meals instead of eating out
*Heart/motivation
How does losing weight feel?

So for reals how losing weight feel? Well first off, feeling amazing is an understatement. I think a better term is me feeling holistically healthy aka healthy as a whole.

Aesthetically, I feel quite lovely because I enjoyed noticing the positive changes in my mind and body. There were changes in my mind because I knew I was acquiring a healthier mindset about my body image. I wasn't calling myself fat. I like looking in the mirror and confidently knowing I look quite snazzy... and fitting into my clothes. Not only that but I could barely fit into the biggest size, and now I feel and look just fine in the clothes, which made me enjoy shopping again. My family and various others also stopped making fun of me, which they shouldn't have, but it's in the past now. Yay for morale increases! I received plenty of compliments, which I always enjoy. Most of all, I met my boyfriend after I lost all the weight and he said he would have still wanted me for my heart and personality, which makes me blessed to know that men appreciate you for you.  In short, I feel a lot more prettyful.

Physically, I feel more nimble, my endurance is significantly increased, and overall more happy and healthy. Even when I had the extra weight, I still had the capacity to run a couple of miles... very very slowly... and then I would gas out. After losing it, I was able to run my usual 4 mile bike path without stopping and even do it a second time before my legs gave out due to needing further training. I haven't been sick in over a year, and even when I was sick, it was due to mold in my apartment. I feel more bubbly and lively as well. I also don't fear getting diabetes anymore and I know my health (of which I can control) will no longer adversely affect me.

My favorite from all of this process was the motivation to help others become healthy and even console and provide advice through their "I'm so gross" or the several versions of the "I'm going to start now" tirades. I also want to promote positive body image through the lens of someone with an "imperfect" body. Some of the effects of losing weight involve having scars aka stretch marks left behind... the same ones you get when you're pregnant. It hurts, but I want to project a message that you can have scars and be any shape or size and still be beautiful. I have stretch marks and I wish I loved my body more when I had the extra weight especially... because it's my body and I need to own and rock it. I've had several people also ask me for health tips, my recipes, and "how did you do that". One of my main goals and highest pillars in life is to make a difference. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm able to help at all or give someone that extra push they needed to get their life back on track... or even when people ask *me* for advice. I feel like I'm fulfilling my purpose when I help people be happy and healthy! But in the end, the size or makeup of your body doesn't define you as a person!

No comments:

Post a Comment