Friday, March 21, 2014

How to Write a Cover Letter for a Poetry Contest or Submission

I've written cover letters for professional IT jobs and other corporate world-type jobs before, but since I'm trying to enter some poetry contests and submit for publication all over the place, some of these submissions have called for a cover letter. Here is a base example of what I've used for my submissions that required a cover letter:


Dear "Wherever you're submitting to",

Please consider the attached poem set entitled, "_________", containing poems "__________", for (possible inclusion in) "xxxx poetry contest or submission". I believe that my poetry would strongly appeal to the readership of "wherever you'd be getting published". I am currently the sole contributor to a blog, dbzmaron.blogspot.com. I have also been published in online mediums, such as thoughtcatalog.com and the Illinois State University Technology Department's blog, isutech.wordpress.com/ (--> *Insert your writing credentials here*).

I confirm that this manuscript has not been published elsewhere and is not under consideration by another journal. Please address all correspondence to: "Insert Address Here" or "Insert Email Address Here". Thank you an advance for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Kindest Regards,
*Your Name*



No comments:

Post a Comment