Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Yo Kai Watch Vs. Pokemon

One day on TV, I saw a commercial comparing a show called “Yo-Kai Watch” to Pokémon. I heard this show could be considered "the new Pokémon . Me being the curious cat I am, I decided to watch the first 3 episodes and see what this show was all about. I first noticed how Yo-Kai Watch was on Disney XD vs Pokémon being on Kids WB. I know Disney is the king of sappy, upbeat shows (and movies), so I pulled up Youtube and my laptop.

The first thing I noticed is the main protagonist characters from both Pokémon and Yo-Kai Watch were young male characters who lived with their parents. Both embarked on a venture alone and stumbled upon their respective creatures. Nate, from Yo-Kai Watch, stumbled upon an ancient vending machine where he put a coin inside and a talking ghost appeared.

Another major difference between these two shows is the Pokémon don’t talk (excluding Meowth from Team Rocket) and only say their names vs. the Yo-Kai, the creatures who appear in Nate's life, talk with an accent specific to their name (ex when talking, the creatures hold certain syllables longer). Yo-Kai are stored in medals vs. Pokémon being stored in Poké Balls. Yo-Kai battles happen when Nate or other Yo-Kai reason/talk to the opposing Yo-Kai, vs. Pokémon, who fight each other with physical or “energy beam-like” attacks. The trainers control the Pokémon (in almost all cases), vs Yo-Kai, who more so have minds of their own. I feel like Yo-Kai Watch focuses more on interpersonal relationships, vs. Pokémon focusing on Ash/Pikachu and Pokémon battles since most Pokémon don’t have personalities. Pokémon are caught in Poké Balls after being physically weakened in a battle vs. Yo-Kai walking up to and befriending Nate, thus he receives medal. Nate also has a watch and the Yo-Kai are a secret to the world vs. Pokémon, where everyone knows about them and can physically see them. I am a fan of Yo-Kai Watch, but all I can say is nothing will ever beat the original!

No comments:

Post a Comment