Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Super "Du-ble" Ventures

When I arrived at work at 11:30am this morning for my "du-ble", my manager pulled me aside and asked me to take a party of 9 people. I was ready to make some money today! All was going according to plan until it was supposed to be break o'clock. It was 2pm...3pm...4pm... The next shift starts at 4pm and I usually get a 1-3 hour break in between shifts depending on the day. At 4pm, the young kitchen manager put in a large order of food for me and 3 others working doubles to be able to eat and chill for a bit before taking tables again. Not long after I started nomming (maybe about 5-10min), the floor manager asked me to take a table. I really wanted to say no because I wanted to finish eating and chill for a bit before having a long evening, but I reluctantly said ok. Little did I know, the night would pick up and I would barely have time to eat anything. I ate a piece of bacon wrapped shrimp, 4 big nachos, and a fajita, drank some water (and a sprite/apple juice mixture) and was back at it again for the rest of the night minus a 10min peemergency/"quick moment of me time" pitstop. Throughout the shift, I drank about a cup to a cup and a half worth of black coffee in 3 trips to keep me awake and perky... and not kersplode. Most of my tables were ok. I got asked to take a bunch of party tables again today and one of them, someone accidentally yoinked the chocolate pinata for my table and delivered it to their table, therefore forcing the kitchen to have to make another one and make my poor table wait another 10-15min, thus causing the manager to need to comp it (the guest gets it for free), thus I lose out on a tip for a 30 dollar item. One of my other party tables was salty that we ran out of Mexican rice at the end of the night on a holiday and gave me a "meh-riffic" tip (usually 15 percent). Other than that, both shifts ran pretty smoothly. I didn't make any mistakes or drop anything, most of my tables were pretty happy, a regular customer remembered me and I talked to her and her family for awhile, and I made decent money on both shifts, mostly thanks to other servers being nice and letting me take some extra tables/keep certain tables that were supposed to be mine and they wanted to sit elsewhere in another section, but I got to take the table anyway. At about 9pm, I stopped accepting new tables, but still had 2 outstanding tables to finish up before I could do any sidework I need to do before I can go home for the evening shift (fold napkins, clean silverware, make sure your section/tables are clean and reset, and certain other assigned chores). Since we were super understaffed today, I was assigned multiple chores. I'm usually able to complete my sidework throughout the shift, but was so busy/RIP from a long shift that I barely had time to do any of it. By 9:30pm, all of my tables had finally left. Thank goodness. Usually by that time, I'm long gone, especially after a double. I would then go to Dave and Busters to play Dance Dance Revolution, but not today. The restaurant closes at 10pm on Tuesdays, including holidays. By 10pm, everyone was super donezo from New Years Eve/working New Years Day and wanted to go home. By 10:30pm, I had done enough/had finished cleaning/resetting my section to where the person who was the latewait (the one who checks you off for your sidework before you go home for the night) told me to quietly go home/not tell antone without doing basically any of it and he'd take care of it. Happy New Years Day to me. Thanks for the get out of jail free pass today. At 10:40pm, I finished my checkout (tipping out/giving or receiving money from the bar) and I peaced the fuck out!

That was probably the craziest shift I've ever had at this job, but at least I have a job and did something productive today aka make money...

How did you spend your New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment